FIRST

UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

Midtown Sacramento 21st & J

Our History

United Methodist Origins

Sacramento First United Methodist Church Building History

Sacramento First United Methodist Church was one of the first churches to be built in the Sacramento area back in the mid 1800s when California was seeking statehood. Here is an artist rendition of the various buildings the church was housed in over the years. 

The following watercolors of the various buildings used by the Methodists over the years were painted in 1984 by life-long Methodist Frances Riemer Burt.

Burt moved to Sacramento from a southern Wisconsin farming community in 1954 and brought her family to worship at the largest Methodist church in Sacramento at the time. Over the years, she taught Sunday School, organized art shows and displays, served on or chaired various commissions, wrote and produced plays and was an active member of the United Methodist Women.

Baltimore Chapel

1849-1852 The Baltimore Chapel was the first church building in Sacramento. It was erected on the southeast corner of Seventh and L streets on land donated by John Sutter. The

Read More »

First United Methodist

2100 J Street After much planning, our First United Methodist Church, Sacramento building was erected in 1925. It took five years to find and acquire the site, secure the funding,

Read More »

SEARCH